The Knitting Sailor

“A ship is safe in harbor, but that’s not what ships are for.” – William G.T. Shedd
March 5, 2014, 9:23 am
Filed under: the Captains Cabin | Tags: , ,

It’s taken me a while to write this post because in some ways it has nothing to do with this blog – in others – it has everything to do with it.

So many of us are treading a fine line and trying to find a ‘work / life balance’.  I’ve never really been sure about that – I mean surely your work is part of your life too?  And for a little while I have been feeling that maybe some of the makeup of my life is wrong.  Not in any evil, crimebaron, serial killer type way, just, wrong.  It’s felt uncomfortable and itchy, something I can’t quite put my finger on, and the more I have tried to ignore it the more it seems that certain events have happened to thrust it in my face.

So I handed in my notice and as of last week I no longer have a job.  If you say it really quick it’s fine!

I’m not really sure what that means – I am now completely outside every frame of reference I have.  I’ve had a job since I was 13 – and I understand delivering the papers isn’t running a multinational, but the disciplines that go with that have been consistent ever since.  Equally I think so much of our self image and values about who we are is tied up in our job – but possibly that was the itchy feeling?

My new plan is to work for myself.  Now while there are inherent advantages in this – I know how my boss takes her coffee, what she’s going to moan about and I can get an answer to any important question immediately – there are also disadvantages – turns out high expectations and a lack of taking no for an answer just being the start of them!

Everyone else thinks this is a genius plan.  I, on the other hand, feel a bit like a kid who has just had the stabilizers taken off her bike.  Wobbly, scared and sure that I am going to end up with scabby knees down the line , but with people behind me who can see exactly how it can work and know it’s just a wobble and then it will be fine.

In the meantime, I think there might be more knitting.  And sailing.  And possibly, if you’re really unlucky there might even be more blogging about it.  Thanks for reading x

Keep Calm and REMEMBER WEEBLES WOBBLE BUT THEY DON'T FALL DOWN Poster

About these ads

14 Comments so far

Good luck with the knitting and the sailing – maybe there is an opportunity there to combine the two!

Comment by tinkeratsea

I think a knitted boat would definitely be the way to go (and possibly provoke even more debate than the RS Aero!) – if only it hadn’t been done before! – http://www.bbc.co.uk/tyne/content/articles/2009/02/13/coat_boat_feature.shtml

Comment by knittingsailor

A chocolate boat (RS Aero???)? Where do I sign up for that?! I don’t have a boat at the moment… maybe I need to try one of those!

Comment by tinkeratsea

To be fair – bubbly chocolate may explain the absurdly low weight!

Comment by knittingsailor

At last, soemnoe comes up with the “right” answer!

Comment by Janay

Good luck! I left a big company to setup my own with a friend and we’re still going nearly 20 years later.

Comment by JP

Thanks – I hope I’m still going then too!

Comment by knittingsailor

Vicky, best of luck. Although I doubt you need it. With your attitude and ability, I have little doubt that you will achieve everything that you set out to do! Well done.
Fair winds Vicky…go for it.

Comment by Tony B

ARRR – and after all, how many proper pirates work for someone else?!?

Comment by knittingsailor

glaenzer

“A ship is safe in harbor, but that’s not what ships are for.” – William G.T. Shedd | The Knitting Sailor

Trackback by glaenzer

While stumbling around in college, trying to find the field of study that would make my life successful, I was advised by a professor that it really matters little what work we choose.

We are who we are, he said, and for the most part, we’ll be happy or unhappy, brilliant or not brilliant, famous or forgettable no matter where we land. I’ve found that life has made most of the important course changes for me despite my best efforts at the helm.

The important thing is to just get on with it.

Comment by o docker

You go girl! Woo hoo!

Comment by Alexrad

Thankyou!

Comment by knittingsailor

I see a lot of interesting posts on your blog.
You have to spend a lot of time writing, i know how to save you a
lot of time, there is a tool that creates unique, google friendly articles in couple of minutes, just search in google
– k2 unlimited content